Due to the integral benefits offered by yoga poses and exercises for a healthy lifestyle, they have become quite widespread in the fitness industry. Younger and older generations have taken a liking to this ancient practice and form of training in order to stay fit and healthy.
The benefits offered by yoga poses and exercises go beyond just improving physical fitness. They provide both mental and spiritual benefits to people who practice yoga regularly.
Here we have compiled a list of five best and most effective yoga poses that can be incorporated into the daily routine to develop a healthy lifestyle.
Best yoga poses and exercises for a healthy lifestyle
1. Thunderbolt Pose or Bajrasana
Thunderbolt poses are among the basic yoga poses that will improve the overall fitness of the body. This will help boost your digestive process as well as strengthen your leg and back muscles.
- Begin in a seated position on the floor before adopting a kneeling position by bending your knees and bringing your lower legs back.
- In this position, your hips should be stacked just above your feet.
- Make sure your back is straight and your chest is up throughout the movement.
- Place your hands just above your thighs and keep looking straight ahead with your head straight.
- Relax all your muscles and breathe deeply.
2. Semi-spinal posture or Ardha Matsyendrasana
The twisting motion of the Half Spine Pose will help strengthen your back and improve spinal health. This yoga pose will also help improve overall body posture.
- Begin by taking a seated position on the floor with your back straight and your legs stretched out in front of you.
- Bend your right leg and bring your right foot to touch the left side of your buttocks.
- Your left leg should be positioned outside your right knee.
- Make sure to keep your spine straight throughout the movement.
- Then rotate your body and bring it to your left side.
- Hold for a few moments before releasing, alternate sides and repeat.
3. Skull Cleansing Yoga Exercise or Kapalabhati
It is also one of the simplest and most effective yoga poses which helps in boosting blood circulation in the body significantly while improving the movement of oxygen. This exercise will also help you get glowing skin.
- Begin by adopting a comfortable seated position on the floor with your palms positioned on your knees.
- Make sure your shoulders, neck, and spine are perfectly aligned.
- Next, take a deep breath and expand your abdomen.
- Exhale with force in your movements and contraction of the abdomen.
- During the exhalation process, your abdominal muscles should make beat-like movements for as many strokes as possible.
- Breathe normally and let your body relax after a round. Repeat.
4. Cat Cow Pose or Bitilasana
Cat Cow Poses help you lead a healthy lifestyle by providing a host of benefits including fully stretching and strengthening your posterior chain, reducing stress, and improving balance.
- Start by taking the position of the table on the floor.
- Keep your palms just below your shoulders and your knees just below your hips with your back completely straight and your head positioned in a neutral position.
- Next, lift your chest up and effectively curl your lower back.
- Keep looking straight with your head towards the ceiling.
- Next, arch your spine with your abdomen inward and your head and pelvis toward the floor. Repeat.
5. Downward facing dog or Adho Mukho Shavasana
It is also one of the most effective yoga poses that will help stimulate blood circulation throughout the body and improve overall posture. A downward-facing dog will also help strengthen your upper body and stretch your lower body.
- Start by assuming the table position on the floor, with your back straight and your gaze downcast.
- Raise your hips toward the ceiling while fully straightening your arms and legs.
- In this position, your body should almost create a sharp V and hold for a few moments before releasing.
- Make sure the palms and soles of your feet stay pressed on the floor before slowly releasing.
The yoga poses listed above are some of the best and most effective for leading a healthy life.
Some of the benefits offered by these yoga poses and exercises include improving flexibility, increasing strength, toning muscles, stimulating internal organs, removing toxins from the body, relieving tight muscles and stress reduction.
Moreover, these yoga poses also involve simple twisting and bending movements. Therefore, they can easily be included in beginner workout routines.